"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." George Eliot
I personally love Autumn, it is my favourite time of year. It is a new season, new beginnings with new aspirations. There is something about Autumn that reminds me to nourish myself in a deeper way, with quality food, rest, exercise while the sun is out, and lots of nurturing, knowing that winter is up ahead.
Here is a list of the organic produce we can look forward to this season….
Apples, Bananas, Beans, Beetroot, Broccoli, Blueberries, Cabbages, Capsicum, Chillies, Celery, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Figs, Grapefruit, Grapes, Garlic, Ginger, Kale, Leeks, Lettuces, Limes, Mushrooms, Onions, Okra, Oranges, Papaya, Passionfruit, Paw Paw, Pears, Plums, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Radishes, Spring Onions, Strawberries, Squash, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes, Watermelons, Zucchini
Here are the benefits of eating seasonally:
- It is better for the environment, less food miles and food wastage.
- You are buying local, supporting local farmers.
- You are getting produce at its peak and high yields, therefore more economical.
- You can enjoy great flavour and high nutrient dense food.
- You are eating food designed for your body for this season.
- You have a conscious connection with your food.
- You learn to appreciate, make do and adapt with your cooking.